Journey to the Perfect Smile: The Process of Getting Dentures (Part 2 of 4)
Welcome back to the second blog in our four-part series on dentures by Best Impressions Dental. In the first part, we explored the various types of dentures and their features. Now, let’s dive into the process of getting dentures, outlining what you can expect at each stage.
Initial Consultation and Examination:
- The journey to a restored smile begins with a comprehensive dental examination. At this stage, our skilled dental team will examine your oral health, focusing on the condition of any remaining teeth, your gums, and your jawbone structure. This assessment guides the decision on the most appropriate denture option for you, considering factors such as oral health, lifestyle, and budget.
Tooth Extraction (if necessary):
- If you have remaining teeth that are decayed or damaged, they will need to be extracted before getting dentures. In some cases, immediate or interim dentures can be placed immediately after extraction to maintain aesthetics and function during the healing period.
Impressions and Measurements:
- After the extraction sites have healed, the next step is creating a precise mold of your mouth. This mold, or impression, is crucial to fabricating a denture that fits well and feels comfortable. Accurate measurements of your jaw relations are also taken to ensure your dentures align correctly when your mouth is closed.
- Using the impressions and measurements, a dental lab will craft your dentures. Whether you opt for standard or premium quality, the goal is to create dentures that mimic the natural appearance of gums and teeth. The process may involve several fittings to adjust the shape, color, and fit before the final denture is made.
Fitting and Adjustments:
- Once your dentures are ready, you’ll return for a fitting. This is when we ensure your new dentures fit properly, look great, and allow normal speaking and eating. It’s normal to need minor adjustments after starting to wear dentures, so don’t worry if they feel a bit uncomfortable at first.
Follow-up Care and Maintenance:
- Getting dentures is not the end of the journey. It’s essential to maintain regular dental check-ups for professional cleaning and to monitor your oral health. Proper denture care at home is equally crucial, including cleaning your dentures and soaking them overnight.
Remember, the process can take several weeks, and patience is key. At Best Impressions Dental, we aim to make this journey as comfortable as possible for you. We’ll be with you at every step, ensuring you’re informed and confident in the process.
In the next blog of this series, we’ll delve into tips for adjusting to life with dentures, exploring aspects such as eating, speaking, and maintaining your new smile. Stay tuned, and in the meantime, reach out to us with any questions or to schedule a consultation. Your perfect smile is closer than you think!